Monday, May 17, 2010

Acts 1

Today we start Acts! Luke is now our narrator, and he begins by giving this guy Theophilus a recap of where he left off in his last book (the book of Luke). He witnesses to Jesus' resurrection and points to the coming of the Holy Spirit. Now, I'd love to talk about the coming of the Holy Spirit right now, but tomorrow is more appropriate (plus if you attend McKendree or Germany Hill this week, I'll be preaching on it).
I've also the urge to comment on choosing a new apostle by rolling dice (well, casting lots...same idea), but that is for another time as well.
Instead, today I'd like to point to an example to follow. In the midst of all that was going on in the church; the excitement of the risen Jesus, and the confusion surrounding what the future might hold, Luke tells us that a group of about 120 people got together and constantly prayed. The group was apostles, followers, and family; men and women together in prayer. Decissions are about to be made by this group, but before making a single one, they are praying.
I often worry that I put the cart before the horse. I have the same worry whenever decissions are made by groups, churches and denominations. Too often I hear about great new ideas being implemented, or bad ideas being stopped, and rarely do I hear about the prayer that goes in to such things. In fact I once asked a group who made a decission what they prayed before they took the vote. It was not surprising to me that they had made the decission with out praying about it, because I do the same thing all the time. I act on my feelings; my likes and dislikes; my lack of faith that I'll get an answer; my worries about the consequences if I do, knowing that if I trusted God enough to pray about it first, I might not like how He responds.
Asking God to take the lead in our decission making is hard. It takes faith and trust. But I think when we feel smart enough to make the decissions about ministry on our own, that is exactly the kind of smartness that God will confound. If, on the other hand, we can give the decission to God, and trust him enough to follow his lead, we would do much better, and He would get the glory; a formula for both a strong church and a stronger personal walk with Christ.

2 comments:

  1. WOW..120 people...all praying together...constantly! It must have been quite a thing to be a part of. Its hard to imagine the connection they felt to God and each other. It does make me wonder what we could do as a church if, we when got together, prayer was the main focus rather than something to open or close our discussions with. Looking at several translations of verse 14. There was one that stood out:

    NASB - These all with one mind were continually devoting themselves to prayer, along with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with His brothers.

    This version had "with one mind" and I also liked the NKJV that had "with one accord". Its a rare thing to find a small group of people that agree, have the same focus and same purpose. But to have 120 people that are all of one mind and in accord with each other!?!! Unthinkable! What came first? Were they all in accord and then were able to pray with the same purpose? Or did they become of one mind through the act of praying together? My bet is that the prayer came first and then they became of one accord, one mind through the act of praying together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Sherry...that definitely would have been amazing to witness! Great point P Rob about praying without ceasing. We are supposed to be bringing all things through prayer and supplication make our requests known to God and so often that is an afterthought. I want to personally try to work on that one. Even with decisions we make in our families everyday. Thanks for pointing that out :0)

    ReplyDelete