Sunday, August 1, 2010

Bible Study on the Fruits of the Spirit: LOVE

1. How would you have defined love at one of the following times in your life?

  • when you were a child
  • when you were at teenager
  • when you were a young adult

2. How has your understanding of love changed over the years?

Read Philippians 2:1-11

3. What does this passage teach about what love looks like?

4. What has Jesus done to model perfect love for us?

5. How can we follow Jesus' example of love?

6. Name a time when you had a chance to treat someone else better than yourself but failed to do so?

7. Name a time that you did not feel like being loving to someone but with God's help you were able to?

Please post your answers in the comments section and remember you can talk generically about a situation without naming names if that makes you more comfortable. Next post with new questions will be Sunday 8/8.

3 comments:

  1. 1. I would, as a teenager ( and now as well) define love as someone who took the bad and the good of me and loved me anyway.

    2. Umm... it really hasn't but i have come to find that few people can truely love. When they can't it's usually out of self-protection meaning they are guarded so they don't get hurt.

    3. This passage teaches that love is sacrifical and is shown by putting others first above yourself.

    4.He came to Earth and made himself human like us. He instead of asserting his Godly power gave himself over to men to be killed for us when he could have stopped it at any moment.

    5. I guess I can follow Jesus' example by knowing I have power over someone but deciding not to use it. Instead to put them first and do what's best for them or even if the situation is different choose to show mercy.

    6. All the time. All the time... Especially with my husband and children. I can be so grumpy thinking only of me and not putting aside my needs for their good.

    7. I had a woman in my life (for a period of time) who would find a way every time I saw her to let me know I was ugly or stupid and it even became the running joke with Rob and I "how is she going to be insulting today?" Through deep breaths and prayer God helped me to take it with a grain of salt and ignor her while not lashing out. (Maybe that's not the same thing the question is asking....)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. As an adult I finally learned what love is. I believe it is when you choose to keep your mouth shut. Keeping your opinions to yourself. Openning your mouth to be encouraging and supportive.
    2. I believe now there is love in everyone. I try hard to find it in everyone and draw it out of them. You can feel love when you are truly forgiving and when you realize nobody is perfect. We have high expectations of each other and of ourselves but people will always let us down even when they don't mean to or even realize it. You can't depend on people or yourself for all of your needs.

    5. Jesus showed the ultimate love by still being loving to the very people who tauntalized, mocked and tortured him. How difficult it would be for me to still be loving to someone if they are being cruell to someone I care about or even to me.

    ReplyDelete