Monday, June 7, 2010

Acts 22

I wish I could pull out something like, "O yeah, by the way, I am a Roman citizen" and have everybody be like, "O crap. Sorry, sorry sorry!" Paul is so cool that way.

I find it interesting that Paul can share a whole story about his meeting with God, but as soon as he implies that God just might possibly be interested in everyone...not just the crowd that is listening right now...people flip out! Seriously, they really flip out. I'm not sure if they are mad because his message is for Gentiles, or if they are mad because it isn't for them. Either way, they are mad.

New things should be exciting to us. More people being drawn into relationship with Jesus should be the coolest thing ever. But all to often, when something new happens, or God seems to use someone else a little more to expand his kingdom, we get mad. Maybe we don't scream for someone's death and tear our clothes off, but jealousy and anger seem to rule the day. I see books and articles written all the time to inform me that something new (music, worship style, Bible translation) isn't really Christian. I hear of churches that spend most of their time calling the stuff other churches are doing sinful. And because we are so angry about not being the one getting all the attention, I think we miss something awesome that God is doing.

I think the challenge of reading this scene is to not miss it. And I think the coolest thing about this chapter is that Paul, after taking a beating, insists on telling those who just beat him about a cool thing God is doing to expand his kingdom. May I be as brave as Paul and more receptive than his audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment