Monday, May 24, 2010

Acts 6 and 7

I have a few things to say about Stephen and his story.

1- I am a fan of any person who can look at the church and flat out tell them, "No, that isn't my ministry, and you should find someone else to do it." I am an even bigger fan of the one who then stands up and says, "Well, I could do it. It seems like my kind of ministry." I think there is a challenge there for us all right at the beginning of chapter 6 to know our gifts, and use them.

2- I love that when Stephen responds to the call to meet others needs, he becomes known for the wonders and signs he displayed among the people. He really responds! Yet there are those who are no fan of Stephen, but even when they feel it is time to do something about him (or more likely, to him) they look at the face of the one who does what he does in the name of Christ, and his face is like that of an angel. I'm not sure how to take that, but it does make me wonder how I appear when I minister for Jesus; does my appearance match my motives?

3- Stephen is willing to speak the truth with boldness, and it cost him his life. But Stephen was sure of his future. And when he is being stoned for his words, he looks and sees Jesus standing at the right hand of the Father.Did you get that? We think of Jesus as sitting at God's right hand, but Stephen, having stood up for Jesus among men, looked up and saw Jesus standing up as well, to welcome him home.

Will I stand boldly for Jesus, trust him with myself and my future, and live a life worthy of such a response?

No comments:

Post a Comment